Kicker Brett Jaekle converted 76 percent of his field-goal attempts last season. The coverage teams have been solid, but the return game is largely mundane.
7. NEW MEXICO STATE Chris Williams is a big-play threat on punt returns. The Aggies are counting on newcomers, but there are high expectations for kicker Kyle Hughes - who can hit from 50 yards and beyond.
8. UTAH STATE
Kicker Peter Caldwell can hit from long distance, but has accuracy issues. The loss of return man Kevin Robinson will hurt.
9. SAN JOSE STATE
The Spartans need to replace their return specialist and need kicker Jared Strubeck to improve his 50 percent accuracy.
1. BOISE STATE
The Broncos are 23-3 in two seasons under their present regime.
2. FRESNO STATE Pat Hill has guided the Bulldogs to eight winning records in the past nine seasons.
3. NEVADA Chris Ault has won eight conference championships in his career.
4. SAN JOSE STATE Dick Tomey is one of five Division I-A head coaches to win at least nine games at three universities. He's done it at Hawaii, Arizona and San Jose State.
5. HAWAII Greg McMackin, who took over after June Jones left for SMU, served as Hawaii's defensive coordinator in 1999 and 2007. The Warriors won WAC championships in each of those years.
6. LOUISIANA TECH
In one season under Derek Dooley, Tech had a three-win improvement in conference play. Quarterbacks coach Frank Scelfo has tutored three quarterbacks who are on NFL rosters.
7. NEW MEXICO STATE
The Aggies accumulate impressive offensive stats under Hal Mumme, but few victories. Maybe new defensive coordinator Joe Lee Dunnwill help with that.
Former Washington State defensive coordinator Robb Akey's first team at Idaho managed just one victory.
9. UTAH STATE
In three seasons under Brent Guy, Utah State has managed just six wins.